Friday, May 3, 2013

rainbow day

Haven't a clue what to blog about today (twiddles fingers, looks skywards for inspiration...).

Sees...a rainbow! 
That would be nice and I've seen rainbow cakes but...how do they get those colours into the actual cake mix? (see how I linked that!)
So I googled that and after a few sites, settled on a site called Omnomicon this gives good information and has piccies too.

I only have two types of food colouring in my pantry at the moment - those liquid ones in the wee plastic bottles and some "candy" colourings (for chocolate).
Apparently there are colours that come in a gel form and they are what you use for colouring cake mix (I know, I know - lots of you knew this already, but I'm only a beginner with some of this and I figure that some of the readers are too).

Here's the colours being mixed in.


Here's the cake mix going into the baking pan (and I have to be honest here - I'm not sure about how it looks, I mean, brightly coloured food, that's just not natural!):



It looks quite okay once baked though.


The baker says that you can use any cake recipe and you don't have to use hers which is a diet one.
If you have the time, you may like to read through the 1664 comments on this cake (who'd have thought this would generate so much controversy)!
Personally, I don't have the time, however I did glance through a few. I really liked this comment which by the way is completely off topic.

Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!





No comments:

Post a Comment