Monday, February 25, 2013

Our first showcase

Hi Everyone, 
welcome to the Cakeriffic blog. 
For info on the show please note that the website is coming very soon and you'll be able to click on the logo to the right of your screen. Watch this space later in the week.

Bespoke Cakes has a wonderful repertoire of the quirky and traditional type cakes too.
Her facebook page is at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bespoke-Cakes/121048591632





Here's what Vivien has to say about her passion for cake decorating:


Ever since I can remember, I was always hovering around my mum and grandmother whenever they were in the kitchen baking. I would pick up little secrets that generations of women who have baked from scratch in their home ovens would discover. From using bread to work out your ovens hot spots, to using a long dowel for rolling the thinnest pastry, they planted the baking seed in my mind very early. Then in 2009, I wanted to make my son's Christening cake, my first fondant covered cake. friends saw it and started asking me to make their cakes. Bespoke Cakes was born. We are on facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bespoke-Cakes/121048591632 with a website coming soon.



I specialize is precision finishes and detailed accents. It could be a car cake made using blueprints from the cars manufacturer, or a wedding cake with hundreds of Swarovski crystals attached one by one. The process and principle is the same. First, I draw a diagram of what I want to achieve. Then I research, research and research more. Before an egg is cracked, I have multiple templates enlarged to the exact size of the finished cake. I use these to work out ratios and scale for height/width/depth of all my details. Where exactly and how far apart are the eyes placed on a Spiderman cake, how wide is a car's bonnet compared to its height off the ground, how tall does each wedding cake tier need to be to balance the width and get the "perfect triangle". Once baked and carved, the secret to the precision finish I achieve, is the undercoat of ganache, my favorite process in cake decorating. A straight edged stainless steel scraper (like a dough scraper) is by far my most used, loved and treasured tool I own. 


I also LOVE making macarons, especially experimenting with new flavours. My latest creations are Midori splice, Sticky date pudding and Maple cinnamon pancake. Nothing says WOW like a macaron tower!


I can't wait to participate in the Cakeriffic Show. A one-of-a-kind trade and display show for businesses, bakeries and the public. I look forward to learning new things in cake decorating and sharing the passion with others. I can just feel the room will be buzzing with cake talk! 












No comments:

Post a Comment